The St. John Ambulance Babysitter Training program is designed to provide students aged 11-15 years or in grades 5-8 with the necessary skills and knowledge to care for infants, toddlers and pre-school children. The program emphasizes safety, dealing with emergencies, and first aid basics.
- Become a Safe and Responsible Babysitter
This includes learning to safely find work, set rates of pay, perform a pre and post job meeting, and to create a babysitter kit.
- Caring for Kids
This includes learning to change a diaper, feed a baby, toddler, or pre-school child; proper safe handling of a baby, comfort a colicky or teething child, and safely administer required medication if necessary.
- Prepare Healthy Snacks and Meals
This includes learning to set up a safe meal environment, and create healthy meals based on the Canadian Food Guide.
- Constructive Games and Play Activities
This includes learning to safely engage in age appropriate play activities that promote physical, social, and mental wellness.
- Be Safe and Responsible
This includes learning how to set up a safe home and play environments, safely respond to unexpected visitors, nuisance calls, and prowlers.
- Managing Behaviors
This includes learning to help kids better cope during a temper tantrum, power struggle, bedwetting, refusing to share toys, refusing to go to sleep, and shyness.
- Identify Hazardous Products
This includes learning the hazardous product symbols, and the proper handling and storage of hazardous products to help prevent injuries.
- Respond to Emergencies
This includes learning to prepare and respond during storms and high winds, power outages, home fire, gas leak, being locked out of the house, and when to dial 911.
- Perform Basic First Aid
This includes learning to perform first aid for unconsciousness, choking, asthma, severe allergic reactions, epilepsy, diabetes, wound care, and bone injuries.
- The Babysitter Training program focuses on small group discussions, problem solving, role-playing, and instructor-led demonstrations.
- Students require 100% attendance, and are required to complete a skills demonstration, and receive a minimum of 70% on the multiple choice quiz.
- Students will receive a St. John Ambulance Canada Babysitter Training manual, wall and pocket certificate upon successful completion of this program.
- Students are required to bring a pencil, infant sized doll, snack, and lunch for a full day program.
- The Babysitter Training program requires six (6) hours of instruction. An Additional hour is required for full day programs to accommodate breaks.
- Please inquire about our flexible scheduling options so that we are able to best accommodate your schedule.
- Individual Rate: $40.00 per student (tax included).
- Group Rate: $500.00 per group, plus $10.00 per student (tax included).